Starting in January 2018, Community Day is a monthly event in Pokémon GO that shines the spotlight on a particular Pokémon. For one day each month, a Pokémon selected by Niantic will have its spawn rate increased during a block of hours. Also, the Shiny appearance rate for the starring Pokémon will be boosted. There are also other perks to Community Day – such as the featured Pokémon knowing at least one exclusive attack through evolution, increased duration for Lure Modules, Event Boxes, and more.
While Community Day is only one day a month (typically), Pokémon appearing in Community Days from January to November of the same calendar year will come back in December. The Community Day hosted in December is a two-day event where Community Day Pokémon from the same and previous year will return via Raids, Eggs, and increased spawns. So if you’re unable to partake in a specific Community Day, there’s always another chance to catch that Pokémon again (and its Shiny version)!
In addition to that, Niantic brought back Community Days of old with Community Day Classic! Debuting in January 2022, this spin-off event resembled Community Days from 2018, but with some additional event bonuses (namely photobomb encounters).
Please note that the standard hours for Community Day have changed. Niantic has started to use the old “2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time” block for Community Day events going forward, starting with April 2022. Yet, a new, five-hour-long “sub-event” continues where Community Day left off that focuses on in-person Raid Battles. These Raid Battles will spawn the Community Day Pokémon for 30 minutes nearby the Gym and Community Day increased Shiny rates apply.
EDIT: In a surprise twist, Kecleon is appearing after Pokémon GO January 2023 Community Day. Further details can be found in the “Are there any other bonuses/tasks for January 2023’s Community Day?” section (last section, at the bottom of the page).
When will Pokémon GO’s January 2023 Community Day take place?
January 2023‘s Community Day will be happening on Saturday, January 7th, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time.
The Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day “sub-event” will be happening right after – Saturday, January 7th, 2023 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time.
What Pokémon is being showcased for January 2023‘s Community Day?
The Pokémon featured for this January 2023’s Community Day is Chespin. You’ll find that Chespin will be appearing more frequently in the wild and, if you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!
What is the exclusive attack for January 2023’s Community Day?
Evolve Chespin into Quilladin into Chesnaught (via 125 Chespin Candies total) and you’ll have a Chesnaught that will know Frenzy Plant (Charged Attack).
Frenzy Plant’s attack stats are the following:
- Trainer Battles: 100 power
- Gyms and Raids: 100 power
Note: This attack can only be learned when Chespin is evolved in Chesnaught (via 125 Chespin Candies total – 25 Chespin Candies from Chespin to Quilladin, 100 Chespin Candies from Quilladin to Chesnaught) on Saturday, January 7th, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time.
Are there any bonuses for January 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes, the bonuses for Community Day are:
- 2× Candy for catching Pokémon
- 2× chance for Trainers level 31 and up to receive XL Candy from catching Pokemon
- 1/4 Egg Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed in an Incubator during the event period (active from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time)
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours (Daily Adventure Incense excluded)
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise! (Chespin photobomb spawn. Can be repeated up to 5 times.)
- Trades made will require 50% less Stardust (active from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time)
- One additional Special Trade can be made for a maximum of two for the day (active from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time)
What is the Special Research Story for January 2023‘s Community Day?
The Community Day Special Research Story is called Quality Quills. It’s a paid-for quest that costs $1.00 USD (or the equivalent pricing in your local currency). A complete list of tasks and rewards for this Special Research Story will be added once the event is live.
|Make 5 Nice Throws||15 Poké Balls|
|Catch 15 Chespin||Chespin Encounter|
|Power up Pokémon 10 times||20 Chespin Candies|
|Completion Rewards||3,000 Stardust, Chespin Encounter, and 1 Incense|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||10 Pinap Berries|
|Catch 15 Chespin||Chespin Encounter|
|Evolve 3 Chespin||30 Chespin Candies|
|Completion Rewards||4,500 XP, Chespin Encounter, and 1 Lucky Egg|
|Make 3 Great Curveball Throws||15 Great Balls|
|Catch 15 Chespin||Chespin Encounter|
|Evolve 1 Quilladin||50 Chespin Candies|
|Completion Rewards||4,500 Stardust, Quilladin Encounter, and 1 Rocket Radar|
|Claim Reward!||15 Ultra Balls|
|Claim Reward!||Chespin Encounter|
|Claim Reward!||2 Silver Pinap Berries|
|Completion Rewards||5,500 XP, Chesnaught Encounter, and 3 Rare Candies|
Will there be any Field Research tasks for January 2023‘s Community Day?
During previous Community Day events, there have been unannounced tasks that focused on the Community Day featured Pokémon and paid out various rewards. If this tradition continues, you can expect the following Field Research task during the event:
- Task: Catch 3 Chespin
- Reward: Chespin* Encounter OR 5 Great Balls OR 2 Ultra Balls OR 2 Pinap Berries OR 500 Stardust
Note: Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
Are there any special Raids for January 2023‘s Community Day?
For January 2023’s Community Day, there will be a special Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day event.
On Saturday, January 7th, 2023 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time special Four-Star Raids featuring Quilladin will be appearing at Gyms.
Four-Star Raid Bonuses
- Defeating a Quilladin Raid during this event will cause Chespin to appear in a 300-meter (about 984.252 ft) radius around the Gym (where the Raid took place at) for 30 minutes.
- Shiny rates for Chespin will be the same as January 2023 Community Day’s event from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time.
Four-Star Raid Limitations
- These Raids can only be accessed with Raid Passes and Premium Battle Passes.
- Remote Raid Passes cannot be used.
Are there any Event Bundles for January 2023‘s Community Day?
There are will be some Event Bundles available. A complete list of Event Boxes will be added here once the event is live:
- Community Day Box (1,350 PokéCoins, limit 1): 50 Ultra Balls, 5 Super Incubators, 1 Elite Charged TM, and 5 Lucky Eggs.
- Explorer Box (375 Poké Coins, limit 1): 5 Super Incubators and 5 Egg Incubators.
- Great Box (480 PokéCoins, limit 1): 30 Ultra Balls, 3 Super Incubators, 1 Incense, and 1 Lure Module.
Are there any special event-themed stickers for January 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes – there will be an assortment of Chespin-themed stickers. You can get them by spinning PokéStops, opening Gifts, and/or purchasing them from Pokémon GO’s in-game shop during the event.
Are there any other bonuses/tasks for January 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes, January 2023’s Community Day has additional bonuses or tasks. Specifically, Kecleon is finally available to catch in Pokémon GO.
Kecleon is in Pokémon GO!
After 5 p.m. your local time, an invisible Kecleon will be on Photo Discs of PokéStops. When interacting with a PokéStop that has an invisible Kecleon, Trainers will be unable to spin the Photo Disc. You must tap the Kecleon (repeatedly) in order to get it to “fall off” the PokéStop. When successful, Trainers can successfully spin the PokéStop and see Kecleon on the overworld map. Trainers can tap on Kecleon to enter a catch encounter scenario. From there, good luck with your catch and finally adding Kecleon to your Pokédex in Pokémon GO!
Some Additional Notes:
- Details are still developing since this is a new development, but Trainers have reported the following findings:
- Kecleon will be at the same PokéStop for all Trainers.
- It’s believed that Kecleon PokéStop locations will change every 2 hours.
- Within the 2-hour time frame, Kecleon can reappear on the same PokéStop. Specific cooldown times for reappearance have yet to be shared.
- Kecleon can appear at PokéStops taken over by Team GO Rocket Grunts. Trainers must defeat the Team GO Rocket Grunt before knocking Kecleon off the PokéStop.
Community Day Meetups and Parks
Also, Niantic will also have Community Ambassador Activations happening in select cities. For a full list of available locations, you can check out the interactive map on the dedicated Community Day Map page. Interactive maps also include “Community Parks”, but these locations will not have any additional bonuses available.
- Community Ambassador Activations: Connect with local Community Ambassadors and their communities.
- Community Parks: This park may be a fun place to play with your local community while enjoying some fresh air.
More Pokémon GO Community Day guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO’s Community Days? Check out our latest guides!
More Pokémon GO guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO? Check out our other guides!
Leave a Comment