Starting in January 2018, Community Day is a monthly event in Pokémon GO that shines the spotlight on a particular Pokémon. For one day each month, a Pokémon selected by Niantic will have its spawn rate increased during a block of hours. Also, the Shiny appearance rate for the starring Pokémon will be boosted. There are also other perks to Community Day – such as the featured Pokémon knowing at least one exclusive attack through evolution, increased duration for Lure Modules, Event Boxes, and more.
While Community Day is only one day a month (typically), Pokémon appearing in Community Days from January to November of the same calendar year will come back in December. The Community Day hosted in December is a two-day event where Community Day Pokémon from the same and previous year will return via Raids, Eggs, and increased spawns. So if you’re unable to partake in a specific Community Day, there’s always another chance to catch that Pokémon again (and its Shiny version)!
In addition to that, Niantic brought back Community Days of old with Community Day Classic! Debuting in January 2022, this spin-off event resembled Community Days from 2018, but with some additional event bonuses (namely photobomb encounters).
Please note that the standard hours for Community Day have changed. Niantic has started to use the old “2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time” block for Community Day events going forward, starting with April 2022. Yet, a new, five-hour-long “sub-event” continues where Community Day left off that focuses on in-person Raid Battles. These Raid Battles will spawn the Community Day Pokémon for 30 minutes nearby the Gym and Community Day increased Shiny rates apply.
When will Pokémon GO’s September 2023 Community Day take place?
September 2023’s Community Day will be happening on Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time.
The Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day “sub-event” will be happening right after – Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time.
What Pokémon is being showcased for September 2023‘s Community Day?
The Pokémon featured for this September 2023’s Community Day is Grubbin. You’ll find that Grubbin will be appearing more frequently in the wild and, if you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!
What is the exclusive attack for September 2023’s Community Day?
Evolve Charjabug into Vikavolt (via 100 Grubbin Candies and near a PokéStop with an active Magnetic Lure) and you’ll have a Vikavolt that will know Volt Switch (Fast Attack).
Volt Switch’s attack stats are the following:
- Trainer Battles: 12 power
- Gyms and Raids: 14 power
- This attack can only be learned when Charjabug is evolved in Vikavolt (via 100 Grubbin Candies and near a PokéStop with an active Magnetic Lure) on Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time.
- Evolution Notes:
- To evolve a Grubbin into a Charjabug, you’ll need 25 Grubbin Candies.
- To evolve a Charjabug into a Vikavolt, you’ll need 100 Grubbin Candies and be near a PokéStop with an active Magnetic Lure.
- Therefore, when evolving a Grubbin into a Vikavolt, you’ll need a total of 125 Grubbin Candies and be near a PokéStop with an active Magnetic Lure.
Are there any bonuses for September 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes, the bonuses for Community Day are:
- 3× XP for catching Pokémon
- 2× Candy for catching Pokémon
- 2× chance for Trainers level 31 and up to receive XL Candy from catching Pokemon
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours (Daily Adventure Incense excluded)
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise! (Grubbin photobomb spawn. Can be repeated up to 5 times.)
- Trades made will require 50% less Stardust (active from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time)
- One additional Special Trade can be made for a maximum of two for the day (active from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time)
This Community Day overlaps with the Psychic Spectacular event. The following bonuses might also be in effect:
- Increased XP for successfully catching Pokémon with Curveball Throws
What is the Special Research Story for September 2023‘s Community Day?
The Community Day Special Research Story is called Plugging Along. It’s a paid-for quest that costs $0.99 USD OR $1.00 USD (or the equivalent pricing in your local currency). A complete list of tasks and rewards for this Special Research Story will be added once the event is live.
|Make 5 Nice Throws||15 Poké Balls|
|Catch 15 Grubbin||Grubbin* Encounter|
|Power up Pokémon 10 times||20 Grubbin Candies|
|Completion Rewards||3,000 Stardust, Grubbin* Encounter, and 1 Incense|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||10 Pinap Berries|
|Catch 15 Grubbin||Grubbin* Encounter|
|Evolve 3 Grubbin||30 Grubbin Candies|
|Completion Rewards||4,500 XP, Grubbin* Encounter, and 1 Star Piece|
|Make 3 Great Curveball Throws||15 Great Balls|
|Catch 15 Grubbin||Grubbin* Encounter|
|Evolve 1 Charjabug||50 Grubbin Candies|
|Completion Rewards||4,500 Stardust, Charjabug* Encounter, and 1 Rocket Radar|
|Claim Reward!||15 Ultra Balls|
|Claim Reward!||Grubbin* Encounter|
|Claim Reward!||2 Silver Pinap Berries|
|Completion Rewards||5,500 XP, Vikavolt* Encounter, and 3 Rare Candies|
Will there be Timed Research for September 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes, there will be Timed Research for September 2023’s Community Day. The Timed Research will only be active during the event hours (2 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time) and will reward Trainers with a Magnetic Lure. The guide will be updated with the Timed Research’s steps once the event is live.
- Task: Catch 10 Grubbin
- Reward: 1,000 XP
- Completion Reward: 1 Magnetic Lure
Will there be any Field Research tasks for September 2023‘s Community Day?
During previous Community Day events, there have been unannounced tasks that focused on the Community Day featured Pokémon and paid out various rewards. If this tradition continues, you can expect the following Field Research task during the event:
- Task: Catch 3 Grubbin
- Reward: Grubbin* Encounter OR 5 Great Balls OR 2 Ultra Balls OR 2 Pinap Berries OR 500 Stardust
Note: Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
Will there be PokéStop Showcases during September 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes, there will be PokéStop Showcases happening during September 2023’s Community Day from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time. Based on previous events, it’s highly likely that the contest theme will be submitting your biggest Grubbin and/or Vikavolt.
Are there any special Raids for September 2023‘s Community Day?
For September 2023’s Community Day, there will be a special Bonus Raid Battles after Community Day event.
On Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. your local time special Four-Star Raids featuring Charjabug will be appearing at Gyms.
Four-Star Raid Bonuses
- Defeating a Charjabug Raid during this event will cause Grubbin to appear in a 300-meter (about 984.252 ft) radius around the Gym (where the Raid took place at) for 30 minutes.
- Shiny rates for Grubbin will be the same as September 2023 Community Day’s event from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time.
Four-Star Raid Limitations
- These Raids can only be accessed with Raid Passes and Premium Battle Passes.
- Remote Raid Passes cannot be used.
Are there any Event Bundles for September 2023‘s Community Day?
There will be some Event Bundles available. A complete list of Event Boxes will be added here once the event is live. For reference, the following Event Bundles have been released during previous Community Day events:
- Great Box (480 PokéCoins, purchase limit 1): 30 Ultra Balls, 3 Super Incubators, 1 Incense, and 1 Lure Module.
- Community Day Box (1,350 PokéCoins, purchase limit 1): 50 Ultra Balls, 5 Super Incubators, 1 Elite Charged TM, and 5 Lucky Eggs.
Are there any special event-themed stickers for September 2023‘s Community Day?
Yes – there will be an assortment of Grubbin, Charjabug, and Vikavolt-themed stickers. You can get them by spinning PokéStops, opening Gifts, and/or purchasing them from Pokémon GO’s in-game shop during the event.
Are there any other bonuses/tasks for September 2023‘s Community Day?
September 2023’s Community Day overlaps with the Psychic Spectacular event. Additional event bonuses that may overlap have been included in this guide. For more information about the Psychic Spectacular event, you can check out our Psychic Spectacular event guide.
Also, Niantic will also have Community Ambassador Activations happening in select cities. For a full list of available locations, you can check out the interactive map on the dedicated Community Day Map page. Interactive maps also include “Community Parks”, but these locations will not have any additional bonuses available.
- Community Ambassador Activations: Connect with local Community Ambassadors and their communities.
- Community Parks: This park may be a fun place to play with your local community while enjoying some fresh air.
More Pokémon GO Community Day guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO’s Community Days? Check out our latest guides!
More Pokémon GO guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO? Check out our other guides!
Leave a Comment