The holiday season is upon us in Pokémon GO, which means it’s time for winter-themed Pokémon and Costumed Pokémon to appear. Just like this year’s Halloween event, this Winter Holiday will be split into two parts. For Winter Holiday Part 1, Mega Glalie joins the game, along with Shiny Bergmite. Trainers can also find some Costumed Pokémon from previous winter holiday events (specifically 2019, 2020, and 2021).
Also, in what appears to be a new trend, certain content will be locked behind a paywall (just like in the Mythic Blade event). This time, a Winter Holiday-themed Timed Research will be available if Trainers pay US$5.00 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency). This Timed Research can also be gifted to other Trainers, provided that US$5.00 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency) is paid. Details for this can be found at the bottom of our guide.
To kick things off, we’ll cover the freebie portion of the Winter Holiday Part 1 event first in our guide below:
Pokémon GO’s Season of Mythical Wishes – Winter Holiday Part 1
Begins: Thursday, December 15th, 2022 at 10 a.m. your local time.
Ends: Friday, December 23rd, 2022 at 10 a.m. your local time.
Pokémon debuts – Mega Glalie, Shiny Bergmite, and return of Costumed Pokémon
Another Mega Evolved Pokémon joins the Pokédex in Pokémon GO! This time it’s Mega Glalie. You’ll be able to acquire the transformation (and Mega Glalie Energy) when defeating Mega Glalie in Mega Raids until Sunday, January 1st, 2023 at 10 a.m. your local time.
When it comes to Shiny Pokémon hunting, Bergmite will be the Pokémon to look for during this event. Its Shiny debut couldn’t have come at a greater time, as its Hisuian Avalugg form will debut later this month during Hisuian Avalugg Raid Day (Saturday, December 24th, 2022 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time). Fingers crossed that Shiny Hisuian Avalugg will be a possibility in Raids and/or Niantic will allow Trainers to evolve their Bergmite into one after completing a Raid.
Plus, since this is the Winter Holiday Part 1 event, a variety of Costumed Pokémon return. Trainers will spot Pikachu wearing a Winter Carnival outfit (from Holiday 2020), Spheal wearing a holiday outfit (from Holiday 2021), Stantler wearing a holiday outfit (from Holiday 2019, 2020, and 2021), and Glaceon wearing an Undersea Holiday outfit (from Holiday 2021). Going forward, these Pokémon will be referred to as “Costumed” rather than the exact outfit they are wearing.
- 50% more XP for winning Raid Battles
- Trainers can store up to 40 Gifts until the end of the event
- Winter/snowy overlay on overworld screen and during Pokémon catch encounters.
Also, since this event overlaps with December 2022 Community Day (Days 1 and 2), the following bonuses will also be active on Saturday, December 17th, 2022, and Sunday, December 18th, 2022 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time unless stated otherwise.
- 2× XP for catching Pokémon
- 2× Stardust for catching Pokémon
- 2× Candy for catching Pokémon
- 2× chance for Trainers level 31 and up to receive XL Candy from catching Pokemon
- 1/2 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed into Incubators during the event period
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise! (Unconfirmed if the Pokémon photobomb spawn feature will be active. If so, it can be repeated up to 5 times.)
- Trades made will require 50% less Stardust (active from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. your local time, both days)
- One additional Special Trade can be made for a maximum of two for the day (active from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. your local time, both days)
- Explorer Box (375 PokéCoins, limit one): 5 Super Incubators and 5 Egg Incubators.
- Bronze Box (225 PokéCoins): 1 Premium Battle Pass, 1 Incense, and 1 Glacial Lure Module.
- Silver Box (1,350 PokéCoins): 16 Premium Battle Passes, 1 Fast TM, 1 Charged TM, and 5 Lucky Eggs.
- Gold Box (2,750 PokéCoins): 15 Super Incubators, 15 Incubators, 5 Star Pieces, and 5 Poffins.
- The following Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild: Costumed Pikachu*, Swinub*, Delibird*, Snorunt*, Costumed Spheal*, Snover*, Vanillite, Cubchoo*, and Bergmite*.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter the following Pokémon: Alolan Vulpix*, Costumed Stantler*, and Cryogonal.
Note: Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
The following Pokémon will be hatching from Eggs that are obtained during the event:
- 7 km Eggs
- 1-Egg Rarity: Sneasel*, Smoochum*, Amaura, Bergmite*, and Crabrawler.
Note: Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might hatch a Shiny one!”
The following Pokémon will be appearing in Raids:
- One-Star Raids: Costumed Pikachu*, Alolan Vulpix*, Costumed Spheal*, Galarian Darumaka*, and Bergmite*.
- Three-Star Raids: Cloyster, Lapras*, Costumed Stantler*, and Costumed Glaceon*.
- Five-Star Raids: Cobalion*.
- Mega Raids: Mega Glalie* (See Additional Notes).
- Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
- Mega Glalie* will be available after the event (in Raids), until Sunday, January 1st, 2023 at 10 a.m. your local time.
Featured Attack for Cobalion
Following in the hoofsteps of Terrakion, Virizion, and Keldeo from the Mythic Blade event, Cobalion will know the attack Sacred Sword (Charged Attack) when caught during the Winter Holiday Part 1 event.
Sacred Sword’s (Charged Attack) stats are as follows:
- Trainer Battles: 60 power
- Gyms and Raids: 55 power
The exact requirements for Cobalion to learn this attack are:
- Cobalion: Caught from Five-Star Raids between Thursday, December 15th, 2022 at 10 a.m. to Friday, December 23rd, 2022 at 10 a.m. your local time.
Field Research Tasks
There will be event-exclusive Field Research Tasks available and the rewards include the following Pokémon encounters: Costumed Pikachu*, Alolan Vulpix*, Seel*, Shellder*, Jynx*, Costumed Stantler*, Costumed Spheal*, Crabrawler, Sneasel*, and Costumed Glaceon*. Abomasnow Mega Energy will also be rewarded when completing specific tasks. These Field Research Tasks can be found when spinning PokéStops (and acquired if you have an open slot in your Field Research menu) when the event is active. A complete list of tasks and associated rewards will be added here once the event is live.
- Task: Catch 3 Ice-type Pokémon
- Reward: 3 Ultra Balls
- Task: Catch 5 different species of Pokémon
- Reward: Costumed Spheal* OR Costumed Stantler* Encounter
- Task: Catch 7 Ice-type Pokémon
- Reward: Seel* OR Shellder* Encounter
- Task: Catch 10 different species of Pokémon
- Reward: Jynx* Encounter
- Task: Hatch an Egg
- Reward: Sneasel* Encounter
- Task: Win a Raid
- Reward: Costumed Glaceon* Encounter
- Task: Send 3 Gifts and add a Sticker to each
- Reward: 25 Abomasnow Mega Energy OR Crabrawler Encounter
- Task: Send 5 Gifts
- Reward: Costumed Pikachu* Encounter
- Task: Open 5 Gifts
- Reward: Alolan Vulpix* Encounter
Note: Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
There will be an assortment of event-themed stickers featuring a snow Pikachu, Alolan Vulpix with Alolan Ninetails, Costumed Cubchoo, and Scatterbug. You can get them by spinning PokéStops, opening Gifts, and/or purchasing them from Pokémon GO’s in-game shop (with PokéCoins) during the event.
New avatar items themed after cozy winter pajamas (with snow Pikachu) and a Santa Claus outfit will be released during this event. They will be available for purchase (with PokéCoins) via the in-game shop. These avatar items will still be available to purchase after the conclusion of this event.
The new avatar items are the following: Holiday Pajama Top, Holiday Pajama Bottoms, Holiday Pajama Slippers, Gifting Pose, Holiday Hat, Holiday Beard, and Holiday Suit.
Paid Ticket – Winter Holiday Timed Research
During the Winter Holiday Part 1 event, Trainers can purchase a ticket to access an event-themed Timed Research. For US$5.00 (or the equivalent pricing tier in your local currency), you’ll get the Winter Holiday Timed Research which rewards Trainers with the following items (if tasks are completed within the time limit):
- Event-themed Avatar Pose
- 2 Incubators
- 1 Incense
- Abomasnow Mega Energy
- Various event-themed Pokémon encounters
A still image of the Avatar Pose (where your Avatar hugs a Gift, throws it behind them, and catches it).
Sales for this Timed Research will go live on Thursday, December 15th, 2022 at 10 a.m. your local time (and sales will end on Friday, December 30th, 2022 at 8 p.m. your local time). According to Niantic, “[t]ickets are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service).” Tickets can also be gifted to Trainers you’re friends with provided that you have a Friendship level of Great Friends or higher with them. This can be done via the in-game shop and by selecting the “Gift” button instead of the “Buy” button. Tickets purchased for friends are nonrefundable as well.
Please keep in mind that Timed Research quests have deadlines. Trainers must complete this Winter Holiday Timed Research by Saturday, December 31st, 2022 at 8 p.m. your local time.
|Winter Holiday Timed Research|
|Walk 2 km||Snover Encounter|
|Catch 10 Pokémon||Spheal Encounter|
|Catch 10 Ice-type Pokémon||Seel Encounter|
|Completion Rewards||Sneasel Encounter, 1 Incense, and 50 Abomasnow Mega Energy|
|Walk 2 km||Swinub Encounter|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||Delibird Encounter|
|Catch 10 Ice-type Pokémon||Cubchoo Encounter|
|Completion Rewards||Galarian Mr. Mime Encounter, 1 Incubator, and 50 Abomasnow Mega Energy|
|Walk 2 km||Vanillite Encounter|
|Send 7 Gifts to Friends||Stantler Encounter (Non-Costumed shown)|
|Catch 15 Ice-type Pokémon||Castform (Snowy Form) Encounter|
|Completion Rewards||Galarian Darumaka Encounter, 1 Incubator, and 50 Abomasnow Mega Energy|
|Hatch an Egg||Alolan Vulpix Encounter|
|Catch 8 different species of Ice-type Pokémon||Alolan Sandshrew Encounter|
|Catch 15 Ice-type Pokémon||Lapras Encounter|
|Completion Rewards||Galarian Mr. Mime Encounter and exclusive Gift-themed Avatar Pose|
More Pokémon GO guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO? Check out our other guides!
Leave a Comment