Pokémon GO’s long-running monthly event, Community Day, turned 5 years old in 2023. Five years means a plethora of Pokémon have been shown off with special, event-exclusive attacks and increased Shiny rates. (And now that we’re in 2023, it’s five years’ worth!) Yet, for newer Trainers, chances are they’ve missed out on most of these gatherings.
In January 2022 (during the Season of Heritage), Niantic brought back a Community Day from 2018 (Bulbasaur’s Community Day) and called it Community Day Classic. This event was based on the old Community Day format (hours, previous Community Day Pokémon, and more), with a slight upgrade (namely photobomb encounters).
What was thought to be a one-time event (or a simple test) is now a new spin-off series of Community Day events. Niantic held a second Community Day Classic in April 2022 and continues hosting Community Day Classic events. Read on for all the details about this month’s event which will transport you to July 2018’s Community Day.
When will Pokémon GO’s July 2023 Community Day Classic take place?
July 2023’s Community Day Classic will be happening on Sunday, July 9th, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time.
What Pokémon is showcased in July 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
The Pokémon featured for this July 2023’s Community Day Classic is Squirtle. You’ll find that Squirtle will be appearing more frequently in the wild and, if you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!
Not only that, but the Squirtle wearing sunglasses (referred to as Costumed Squirtle going forward) will also be included in this event, but limited to catch reward encounters from event-exclusive Field Research.
What is the exclusive attack for July 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
Evolve Squirtle into their final evolution (Squirtle to Wartortle to Blastoise) and you’ll have a Blastoise that will know Hydro Cannon (Charged Attack).
Hydro Cannon is the Charged Attack that Blastoise could learn during its original Community Day event in July 2018. Its stats are the following:
- Trainer Battles: 80 power
- Gyms and Raids: 90 power
- These attacks can only be learned when Wartortle is evolved into Blastoise on Sunday, July 9th, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time.
- Costumed Squirtle can be evolved into Costumed Wartortle as well as Costume Blastoise.
- Squirtle Candy requirements:
- To evolve Squirtle into Wartortle, you’ll need 25 Squirtle Candies.
- To evolve Wartortle into Blastoise, you’ll need 100 Squirtle Candies.
- In total, you’ll need 125 Squirtle Candies when evolving Squirtle to Blastoise.
Are there any bonuses for July 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
Yes, the bonuses for Community Day Classic are:
- 1/4 Egg Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed in an Incubator during the event period.
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours (Daily Adventure Incense excluded).
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours.
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise! (Squirtle photobomb spawn. Can be repeated up to 5 times.)
What is the Special Research Story for July 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
The Community Day Special Research Story is called Squirtle Community Day Classic. It’s a paid-for quest that costs $0.99 USD OR $1.00 USD (or the equivalent pricing in your local currency). The guide will be updated with the Special Research Story’s steps once the event is live.
|Squirtle Community Day Classic|
|Make 5 Nice Throws||15 Poké Balls|
|Catch 15 Squirtle||Squirtle* Encounter|
|Power up Pokémon 10 times||20 Squirtle Candies|
|Completion Rewards||3,000 Stardust, Squirtle* Encounter, and 1 Incense|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||10 Pinap Berries|
|Catch 15 Squirtle||Squirtle* Encounter|
|Evolve 3 Squirtle||30 Squirtle Candies|
|Completion Rewards||4,500 XP, Squirtle* Encounter, and 1 Incubator|
|Make 3 Great Curveball Throws||15 Great Balls|
|Catch 15 Squirtle||Costumed Squirtle* Encounter|
|Evolve 1 Wartortle||50 Squirtle Candies|
|Completion Rewards||4,500 Stardust, Wartortle* Encounter, and 1 Rocket Radar|
|Claim Reward!||15 Ultra Balls|
|Claim Reward!||Squirtle* Encounter|
|Claim Reward!||2 Silver Pinap Berries|
|Completion Rewards||5,500 XP, Blastoise* Encounter, and 3 Rare Candies|
Note: Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
What is/are the Field Research task(s) for July 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
Niantic has stated that Squirtle-themed Field Research will be made available during the event. A complete list of Field Research task(s) and their reward(s) will be updated once the event is live. Based on previous Community Day events, the Field Research could be the following:
- Task: Catch 3 Squirtle
- Reward: Costumed Squirtle* Encounter
- Pokémon marked with an * means that “If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!”
- Costumed Squirtle can be obtained only from event-exclusive Field Research task(s). It is unclear if the task associated with them will be a standard Community Day task or something brand new.
Are there any Event Bundles for July 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
There may be special Event Bundles released for the event. This section will be updated once the event is live.
- Great Box (480 PokéCoins, purchase limit 1): 30 Ultra Balls, 1 Incense, 3 Super Incubators, and 1 Lure Module.
- Community Day Box (1,350 PokéCoins, purchase limit 1): 50 Ultra Balls, 5 Super Incubators, 1 Elite Charged TM, and 5 Lucky Eggs.
Are there any special event-themed stickers for July 2023 Community Day Classic?
No – unlike the standard Community Day event, there are no special stickers being released for Community Day Classic.
More Pokémon GO Community Day guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO’s Community Days? Check out our latest guides!
More Pokémon GO guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO? Check out our other guides!
Leave a Comment