Pokémon GO’s long-running monthly event, Community Day, turned 4 years old in 2022. Four years means a plethora of Pokémon have been shown off with special, event-exclusive attacks and increased Shiny rates. Yet, for newer Trainers, chances are they’ve missed out on most of these gatherings.
In January 2022 (during the Season of Heritage), Niantic brought back a Community Day from 2018 (Bulbasaur’s Community Day) and called it Community Day Classic. This event was based on the old Community Day format (hours, previous Community Day Pokémon, and more), with a slight upgrade (namely photobomb encounters).
What was thought to be a one-time event (or a simple test) is now turning into a potential series. Niantic held a second Community Day Classic in April 2022 and continues to hold Community Day Classic events. Read on for all the details about January 2023’s Community Day Classic event.
When will Pokémon GO’s January 2023 Community Day Classic take place?
January 2023’s Community Day Classic will be happening on Saturday, January 21st, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. your local time.
What Pokémon is showcased in January 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
The Pokémon featured for this January 2023’s Community Day Classic is Larvitar. You’ll find that Larvitar will be appearing more frequently in the wild and, if you’re lucky, you might even encounter a Shiny one!
Note: Larvitar was previously featured in June 2018’s Community Day (as well as the two-day Community Day celebration events in December 2018 and December 2019).
What is the exclusive attack for January 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
Evolve Larvitar into their final evolution (Larvitar to Pupitar to Tyranitar) and you’ll have a Tyranitar that will know Smack Down (Fast Attack).
Smack Down is the Fast Attack that Tyranitar could learn during its original Community Day event in June 2018. Its stats are the following:
- Trainer Battles: 12 power
- Gyms and Raids: 16 power
- These attacks can only be learned when Larvitar is evolved into Tyranitar on Saturday, January 21st, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time.
- To evolve Larvitar to Pupitar, you’ll need 25 Larvitar Candies.
- To evolve Pupitar to Tyranitar, you’ll need 100 Larvitar Candies.
Are there any bonuses for January 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
Yes, the bonuses for Community Day Classic are:
- 3× Catch XP
- Incense activated during the event will last for three hours (Daily Adventure Incense excluded)
- Lure Modules activated during the event will last for three hours
- Take a few snapshots during Community Day for a surprise! (Larvitar photobomb spawn. Can be repeated up to 5 times.)
Additional bonuses may be available due to this event overlapping with the Lunar New Year 2023 event. If so, additional bonuses will be listed below:
- 2× Stardust from opening Gifts
- Increased chance to encounter Shiny Darumaka
- Increased chance to become Lucky Friends
- Increased chance for Lucky Pokémon in trades
- One additional Special Trade can be made for a maximum of two per day
- One of the following bonuses will be active when its path is selected from the Lucky Wishes Timed Research:
- Hatch Distance Bonus: 1/2 Hatch Distance when Eggs are placed into Incubators during the event period
- Daily Adventure Incense Bonus: 2× Daily Adventure Incense duration (will be 30 minutes per day during the event)
- Stardust Bonus: 2× Catch Stardust
What is the Special Research Story for January 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
The Community Day Special Research Story is called Larvitar Community Day Classic. It’s a paid-for quest that costs $1.00 USD (or the equivalent pricing in your local currency). The guide will be updated with the Special Research Story’s steps once the event is live.
|Larvitar Community Day Classic|
|Power up Pokémon 10 times||15 Poké Balls|
|Catch 15 Larvitar||Larvitar Encounter|
|Make 5 Nice Throws||20 Larvitar Candies|
|Completion Rewards||2,000 Stardust, Larvitar Encounter, and 1 Incense|
|Catch 15 Larvitar||30 Larvitar Candies|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||Pupitar Encounter|
|Evolve 3 Larvitar||10 Pinap Berries|
|Completion Rewards||1,500 XP, Larvitar Encounter, and 1 Incense|
|Make 3 Great Curveball Throws||50 Larvitar Candies|
|Evolve 1 Pupitar||1 Lucky Egg|
|Transfer 10 Pokémon||15 Great Balls|
|Completion Rewards||2,500 XP, 1 Rocket Radar, and 15 Ultra Balls|
|Claim Reward!||2 Silver Pinap Berries|
|Claim Reward!||Larvitar Encounter|
|Claim Reward!||3,500 XP|
|Completion Rewards||3,000 Stardust, Tyranitar Encounter, and 3 Rare Candies|
Are there any Event Bundles for January 2023‘s Community Day Classic?
The following boxes will be available during the event:
- Community Day Box (1,280 PokéCoins, purchase limit 1): 50 Ultra Balls, 1 Elite Fast TM, 3 Super Incubators, and 3 Lucky Eggs.
- Great Box (480 PokéCoins, purchase limit 1): 30 Ultra Balls, 1 Incense, 3 Super Incubators, and 1 Lure Module.
Are there any special event-themed stickers for January 2023 Community Day Classic?
No – unlike the standard Community Day event, there are no special stickers being released for Community Day Classic.
More Pokémon GO Community Day guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO’s Community Days? Check out our latest guides!
More Pokémon GO guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO? Check out our other guides!
Leave a Comment