Raid Hour (also referred to as Legendary Raid Hour) started as an experiment in March 2019. Initially called Legendary Lunch Hour, Niantic set aside an hour on Wednesdays for Pokémon GO Trainers to find 5-Star (Legendary) Raids easier by increasing the appearance rates. After further testing, Raid Hour was renamed and rescheduled to evenings (typically, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time).
Since then, Raid Hour has been a near-weekly event in Pokémon GO. There have been instances of Raid Hour being canceled due to technical issues (September 18th, 2019) and being rescheduled later, as well as canceled completely due to other issues. The most notable cancelation was back in March 2020, when select regions’ Raid Hours were canceled due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, followed by no Raid Hour sessions in April worldwide. In May 2020, Raid Hour returned and Trainers could participate with a new Raid Pass – the Remote Raid Pass (introduced in April 2020). This new item allows Trainers to battle in raids remotely from home instead of being within battle-distance of a Gym.
While Raid Hour events are usually held every Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time, Niantic has held additional Raid Hours due to special events. Generally, Raid Hour will feature at least one Legendary or Mythical Pokémon (what is currently active in-game) or more.
How to get a Raid Pass in Pokémon GO
Trainers who wish to partake in the event will have to use a Raid Pass at a Gym with an active Raid. There are currently three Raid Pass types:
- Raid Pass (orange) – The daily free Raid Pass. You can get one free in-game daily by spinning a Gym’s PokeStop.
- Premium Battle Pass (green) – A Raid Pass that can be purchased with PokéCoins (Pokémon GO’s premium in-game currency). One costs 100 PokéCoins and can also be found in special bundles or included as bonus items for paid ticket events and more. This pass can also be used in Pokémon GO’s GO Battle League for premium rewards.
- Remote Raid Pass (blue) – A special Raid Pass that can be purchased with PokéCoins. As of May 23rd, 2022, they will not be included in the weekly box bundles for 1 PokéCoin. Prices have also increased – an individual Remote Raid Pass is 100 PokéCoins whereas the 3-pack is 300 PokéCoins. Remote Raid Passes have also been distributed as Research Breakthrough rewards and more.
Note: Raid Pass and Premium Battle Pass items can only be used within 80 meters (262 feet) of a Gym. A Remote Raid Pass can be used if you see the Gym on your screen (regardless of location) or be used to Raid remotely if invited by an in-game friend anywhere in the world who is hosting a Raid.
How many Raid Passes can you get in a day?
Technically, there is no limit to how many Raid Passes you can acquire each day, but there is a limit depending on which Raid Pass type:
- Raid Pass (orange) – You can only get one per day for free by spinning a Gym’s PokeStop.
- Premium Battle Pass (green) – You can have as many Premium passes as you can purchase and hold in your inventory.
- Remote Raid Pass (blue) – You can only hold up to three at a time, but can buy more after using one.
What time is today’s Raid Hour?
Friday, June 10th, 2022’s Raid Hour is being held at the standard time of 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. your local time for select time zones.
Who can participate in today’s Raid Hour?
Trainers that live in the affected time zones (GMT +14–GMT +2) will have Five-Star Raids locally. Trainers that aren’t located in those time zones can still participate if invited via the Remote Raid feature.
What Pokémon is featured in today’s Raid Hour?
The Pokémon for Friday, June 10th, 2022’s Raid Hour is Kyogre.
Can Kyogre be shiny?
Yes, Kyogre can be shiny.
Who will be next week’s featured Pokémon in Pokémon GO’s Raid Hour?
Raid Hour will return to its standard Wednesday rotation and will feature the previously announced Groudon.
More Pokémon GO Raid Hour guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO’s Raid Hours? Check out our latest guides!
More Pokémon GO guides
Looking for more help with Pokémon GO? Check out our other guides!