Super Bowl LV may be over a week away, but that hasn’t stopped Psyonix from getting the party started early on Rocket League. Announced via a blog post, the in-game Super Bowl LV Celebration will run from Tuesday, February 2nd to Monday, February 8th, and feature an NFL makeover to Champions Field, a new limited-time mode, new challenges to complete, and new cosmetics to unlock!
— Rocket League (@RocketLeague) January 28, 2021
Here’s a full breakdown of the new Gridiron mode straight from the team at Psyonix, as well as details about the challenges that will be available:
- Gridiron is 4 on 4.
- The standard Rocket League ball has been replaced with an American football.
- Touching the ball attaches it to the roof of your car. In Spike Rush, the ball would attach to wherever your car made contact, but in Gridiron it will always attach to your roof.
- If any player touches the ball, that player becomes the ball carrier, setting up the opportunity for hand-offs to teammates or steals by the other team.
- The carrier can single jump, but double jumping drops the ball. You can also pass the ball by dodging.
- Each goal is 3 or 7 points: 7 points are awarded if the ball is attached to a player when entering the opponent’s goal, and 3 points are awarded if the ball is passed in or if the ball is loose. All own-goals are worth 3 points whether the ball is attached or it’s loose.
- Demos require Supersonic speed just like in standard modes.
- Stay in bounds! You’ll fumble the ball if you cross the line marked on the Arena wall.
Plus, we’re adding three Event Challenges that can be completed to unlock the Gridiron Guru Player Title, NFL Wheels, and 20,000 XP!
Also returning for the event is the NFL Fan Pack. The cosmetic pack features the logos for all 32 teams and will be available via the in-game shop for the duration of the event.
Leave a Comment