Indie developers often try to recreate the feeling of classic games, whether it be the classic Metroid stylings of Axiom Verge or the Harvest Moon evolution that is Stardew Valley, but one particular era isn’t touched nearly as much – the PlayStation 1 JRPG.
Developer Semisoft has tackled the pre-rendered backgrounds and turn based combat with its 2017 PC game Legrand Legacy, which will finally hit consoles first on Switch later this month.
Here’s the description from the game’s eShop page…
Welcome to Legrand, a beautifully hand-drawn world riddled with curious creatures, devastating wars, and intriguing tales of vengeance and redemption. Embark on an epic adventure through this sprawling fantasy universe and fight alongside the Fatebounds as they attempt bring peace to Legrand! But be careful who you trust because everyone has a secret to hide…
• A fully immersive experience with stunning FMV, fully rendered 3D cinematics, and epic original soundtrack
• 3D models and original assets come together with gorgeously stylized hand-drawn backgrounds
• Action packed turn-based combat and tactical warfare scenarios that will test the limits of your wits
• Recruit craftsmen to restore the abandoned city of Dumville, play mini games, or embark on rewarding side quests
• Collect loot from slain enemies to craft items and upgrade weapons
• Configure items and grimoires that characters can wield in combat or set combat formation
• Command the military might of nations in intense tactical battles
You’ll be able to download Legrand Legacy from January 24th.