Pokémon TCG is getting a refresh – from an online-playing perspective this time. For 10 years, fans have been able to play Pokémon TCG matches with other players from around the world in Pokémon TCG Online. Today, the Pokémon Company has announced that a new free-to-play app will be taking its place and will be available for smartphones. Trainers, meet Pokémon TCG Live!
Available on smartphones for the first time, Pokémon TCG Live is a mega update to digital TCG battling. With a new look and new avatar customization system, dueling via decks is easier and flashier. Plus, you’ll still be able to redeem Pokémon TCG code cards found in physical packs in-game! Here are just some of the features you’ll find in Pokémon TCG Live:
Build and Edit Decks
- Start your Pokémon TCG Live journey by automatically receiving eight playable decks at no cost, including a beginner’s starter deck to help you learn the game.
- Edit deck lists to create the ideal deck for your next battle. Play the Standard format at launch—with Expanded format coming via a future game update—and collect cards from the Sword & Shield, Sun & Moon, XY, and Black & White Series.
- Add new cards to your deck by redeeming codes included in physical Pokémon TCG booster packs or by earning digital booster packs in the game.
Earn Rewards with Battle Pass
- Play daily quests to level up your Battle Pass and unlock higher rewards. Every day, two new quests are available that will provide players with XP, progression, and quest rewards.
- Progress in Battle Pass Ladders to unlock in-game cosmetics, booster packs, and more.
- Unlock in-game content and accessories at no cost by completing quests and objectives.
- Coins: Get cool new apparel and emotes for your avatar, and deck customizations such as deck boxes and card sleeves. Coins can be earned by completing quests, leveling up, increasing your rank, and more.
- Credits: Transfer up to four copies of a unique Pokémon TCG card, one copy of an ACE SPEC or Prism Star card, one copy of each part of a Pokémon V-UNION card, and 59 copies of a basic Energy card from your existing Pokémon TCG Online account. Additional copies of Pokémon TCG cards can be converted into Credits, which can be redeemed for single cards to add to your collection. Credits can also be earned by achieving various milestones within the game.
- Crystals: With Crystals, earn booster packs, promo cards, and special bundles in the in-game shop to add cards to your collection. In addition, use Crystals to upgrade your experience to the Premium Pass and the Premium Pass +. Crystals can be earned by completing quests.
According to The Pokémon Company, the app will have a mobile soft launch in Canada and a global open beta for PC and Mac later this year. Pokémon TCG Live will support the following platforms/devices:
- iOS: Devices back to iPhone 7and iPad (2017) with iOS 15
- Android: Devices back to Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) with 2 GB of RAM and Android 8.0 Oreo
- Windows PC: Windows 7, Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 2600XT, and 3 GB RAM
- Mac: MacOS OS X 10.12, Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600M GT or ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, and 3 GB RAM
Since Pokémon TCG Live is a follow up to Pokémon TCG Online, The Pokémon Company will be removing Online’s app from the App Store, Google Play, and Pokemon.com “shortly prior to the launch of Pokémon TCG Live.” In addition to the removal, game servers will be shut down as well according to a Pokémon Support page detailing the “sunsetting” of Pokémon TCG Online. The support page also details that accounts from Online are transferrable to Live, but not all digital cards and items will make the jump to the new app. Due to this, some items that can’t be transferred over (unopened items) will have an in-game currency payout in Live. For a full list of changes, please read the dedicated Pokémon Support page.
Future updates/announcements about Pokémon TCG Live will be shared on The Pokémon Company’s official social media channels as well as in the Pokémon Trainer Club Newsletter.
MOBILE DEVICE GALLERY
Leave a Comment