The next physical release from Super Rare Games is a bit different from the company’s usual line-up. There’s no “once a digital exclusive turned physical for Nintendo Switch” here, but something just as important – game preservation. Crafted by Super Rare Games’ “Head of Saying Stuff” Ryan Brown, he’s picked 30 games from the indie-game, freeware scene and compiled them plus six demos as Super Rare Mixtape Vol. 1. Watch the trailer below showing off all 30 games – some even look like they’re part of Nintendo’s GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, and Nintendo 64 libraries:
Super Rare Mixtape Vol. 1 Features
- 30 games – A curated collection of 30 varied games from small indie developers in the freeware scene – from retro first-person shooters and platformers, to visual novels, tower defenses, and quick experimental ideas, this is a showcase of pure creativity that finally gives these games the attention and preservation they deserve.
- 6 demos – To fit with its PC compilation disc/PS1 demo disc type vibes, we’ve partnered with teams behind some of the most exciting upcoming commercial indie games to provide playable demos – including SkateBIRD, Grapple Dog, Billie Bust Up, and more!
- USB tape cassette – Your mixtape of games are fittingly featured on a tape cassette shaped USB, complete with a built-in custom launcher for easy plug ‘n’ play use on your Windows PC or laptop.
- Collector’s box – The gorgeous slim box, designed to fit in with your games collection, also includes a full-colour manual with a full page dedicated to each of the 36 titles and why we chose them for this collection
- 1,000 copies* – As a tester to see if there’s an audience for this uniquely new idea of physical collections of tiny indie games for PC, only 1,000 copies of Volume 1 are available for sale – hopefully we can make many more volumes in the future!
- (*1,100 copies have been printed in total as additional units were needed for the many developer samples)
- List of games included: A Mini Falafel Adventure, Becalm, Daughter of Reyn, Detritus, Echoes+, Emily is Away, Enviro-Bear 2000, Fairy Song, Forklift Man, FRAGMENT: Extended Edition, Garbageboi+, Good Morning Drifter, Greetings, Guardian Sphere, Homerun Bun+, Kiwi 64, Lianthus, Lucid Heist, Lycanthorn, Missed Messages, NO PLAYERS ONLINE, Paint Game, Pearl Grabber, Quest of Graal, Secret Tea Garden, Stellar Nexus, Tempo Quest, Tonsil Terror, Two Timin’ Towers, and YOU LEFT ME.
- Demos included: Billie Bust Up, CONSCRIPT, Grapple Dog, Pathogen-X, SkateBIRD, and The Lone Blade.
Each copy of Super Rare Mixtape Vol. 1 comes with a collector’s box, USB tape cassette, and a full-color manual showcasing each game all for $40.19. Pre-orders will be accepted starting on Thursday, August 19th at 10 a.m. PT | 1 p.m. ET, and customers can order up to two copies of the collection. Super Rare Games is currently estimating that copies will be shipped out in late August/early September.
As for how this project came together, you can hear all about it from the project’s creator – Ryan (more commonly known as Toadsanime online):
Interested? Make sure to set your alarms for when Super Rare Mixtape Vol. 1 orders open on Thursday, August 19th at 10 a.m. PT | 1 p.m. ET. Depending on the success of the first volume, we may see a Vol. 2 appear!
Leave a Comment