The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are officially underway, and while this year’s festivities are overshadowed by a very serious pandemic, the opening ceremony attempted to lighten the mood a bit by featuring music from loads of classic and modern video games as athletes filed into the stadium.
Songs from Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Monster Hunter, Chrono Trigger, NieR, and even Kingdom Hearts were all represented in some form during the ceremony! Olympic video clips are typically scrubbed from the internet the moment they appear, but we’ve embeded a few clips of the festivities below. Watch them while you can!
DID THEY REALLY PLAY KINGDOM HEARTS AND FINAL FANTASY MUSIC AT THE OLYMPICS?!?
YES LOOK pic.twitter.com/x8tlnRhDKD
— Maku (@TropicalMaku) July 23, 2021
Wake up, open a livestream of the Olympics Ceremony and suddenly Robo's Theme from Chrono Trigger starts playing 😆 pic.twitter.com/lHGPrplG44
— Kiraxio (@Draxira) July 23, 2021
Tokyo Olympics now genuinely rocking the Sonic Star Light Zone theme 🔥 pic.twitter.com/BAxs0b8eDE
— Andy Robinson (@AndyPlaytonic) July 23, 2021
Of course Japan would start the Olympics parade of nations with the theme to Dragon Quest pic.twitter.com/gjdbwMENfw
— Stephen Stapczynski (@SStapczynski) July 23, 2021
You can check out a full list of the songs that showed up below thanks to @aitaikimochi on Twitter.
- Dragon Quest “Erdrick’s Theme”
- FINAL FANTASY “Victory Fanfare”
- Tales of Zestiria “Sorey’s Theme – The Shepard”
- Monster Hunter “Proof of a Hero”
- Kingdom Hearts “Olympus Coliseum”
- Chrono Trigger “Frog Theme”
- Ace Combat “First Flight”
- Tales of Series “Royal Capital – Majestic Grandeur”
- Monster Hunter “Setting Off Breeze”
- Chrono Trigger “Robo’s Theme”
- Sonic the Hedgehog “Star Light Zone”
- Winning Eleven: eFootball walk-on theme”
- FINAL FANTASY “MAIN THEME”
- Phantasy Star Universe “Guardians”
- Kingdom Hearts “Hero’s Fanfare”
- Gradius (Nemesis) “01 ACT 1-1”
- NieR “Song of the Ancients”
- SaGa Series “SaGa Series Medley 2016”
- SoulCalibur “The Brave New Stage of History”