Five years ago, Pokémon fans around the world were finally able to play Pokémon GO. What started out as an April Fools’ joke in 2014 via Google Maps is now a multi-billion dollar mobile app. Starting his week, Niantic is celebrating the game’s 5th anniversary with a brand new event that leads up to Pokémon GO Fest 2021. To commemorate the occasion, a new event Pikachu will appear in-game, referred to as Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon, as well as increased rates for Shiny Darumaka and Shiny Meltan.
The event starts on Tuesday, July 6th at 10 a.m. and concludes on Thursday, July 15th at 8 p.m. (your local time). For all the details, the official Pokémon GO blog has posted the following:
- Darumaka and Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon will be appearing more frequently in the wild! If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Darumaka!
- Darumaka, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie, and Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon will be appearing in one-star raids.
- Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie will be appearing around PokéStops with active Lure Modules and after you complete Field Research. You can also encounter some of these first-partner Pokémon in the wild, including Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.
- You’ll receive daily bonus Field Research tasks that lead to encounters with Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie.
- Complete the Collection Challenge for this event for a reward encounter with Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon, as well as Rare Candy and a massive amount of Poké Balls!
- Remember the in-game fireworks from Pokémon GO Fest last year? They’re returning this year to the map in celebration of our five years!
- While you’re looking out for fireworks during the fifth-anniversary celebration, check out the new in-game sky, too! That’s right—the previously announced real-time sky mechanic and additional Pokédex classifications will be available to everyone in the coming days. You can also learn more about the Pokédex classifications in this help center article here.
- If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny Meltan when you activate the Mystery Box during the fifth-anniversary celebration!
- The Jump-Start Special Research will be available during this time for any Trainers who missed out on it during last year’s anniversary celebration, so be sure to open the app during this period to claim it. This Special Research is designed to help you catch up with other Trainers, with a ton of Stardust and XP rewards, as well as some exciting Pokémon encounters.
- You can get fifth-anniversary Gift stickers when you spin PokéStops and open Gifts. You can also pick them up in the shop.
- You’ll be able to expand your Item Bag up to 3,500 from Monday, July 5, 2021 at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7)! If you need more space in your Item Bag, you can get Item Bag upgrades in the shop.
- The Special Box, Ultra Box, and Adventure Box will contain different items starting on Monday, July 5, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. PDT (GMT −7).
- All Lure Modules will last one hour for the duration of the event, including Glacial, Magnetic, Mossy, and Rainy Lure Modules
Niantic is also asking fans to share their Pokémon GO memories online and use #PokemonGO5YearAnniversary when doing so. It could be tied to a feature, playing the game for the first time, the Pokémon GO mania that swept the globe within the first month of release, or more!
No matter what Trainers, be safe while playing Pokémon GO! Please abide by all local ordinances and health and safety guidelines.
Leave a Comment