Pokémon GO continues to be a popular game in this pandemic world of ours, allowing people to walk around their community and catch Pokémon — while socially distanced, of course. Now, developer Niantic is bringing a new event to select cities to encourage players to explore their hometowns and see some sights.
The City Spotlight event is highlighted in a blog post on the official Pokémon GO website, where it details what players can expect. On November 22nd, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time, players in certain cities will go on a virtual scavenger hunt of sorts, gaining individual tasks and opportunities to bond with their Buddy Pokémon.
The four cities in this first event include the following:
- Tainan, Taiwan
- Kyoto, Japan
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Busan, South Korea
In addition, players can participate in free and ticketed events. From the blog post, the following perks will be available for free players:
- The City Spotlight Timed Research will take you and your Buddy Pokémon all around your city.
- Take snapshots to earn Pokémon encounters, a Poffin, Stardust, and a Lucky Egg.
- Spin PokéStops for a chance to receive a special Gift sticker.
- Take part in a PokéStop scanning competition against other participating cities! Check how your city is faring in the standings on an online leaderboard. The city with the most AR Mapping tasks completed at the end of the weekend will win an exclusive event featuring a 1/4 Hatch Distance bonus!
- Receive a special reward when you complete an AR Mapping task.
A first come first served paid ticketed event will also be happening, giving players the following:
- Everything in the free citywide experience.
- The following Pokémon will be attracted to special event Incense: Onix, Lapras, Unown C, Nosepass, Rhyhorn, Doduo, Mantine, Pidgey, Pelipper, Pidgeot, and Stoutland. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny Unown C! Shiny Unown C will be available only for the duration of this event to Trainers who have a City Spotlight ticket.
- Explore the city with your Buddy Pokémon using exclusive City Spotlight Special Research as a guide! Complete the Special Research to receive a Poffin, an Incense, a Super Incubator, three Lucky Eggs, a Lure Module, an encounter with Lapras, XP, and Stardust.
- Earn up to three extra hearts with your buddy in every category.
- Your buddy will know that an exciting adventure is ahead! Give it treats during the event, and it’ll automatically become excited!
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when an Egg is placed in an Incubator while the City Spotlight initiative is active.
- Incense will be more effective while you’re walking and will last for two hours.
The blog post also contains information on how to purchase tickets. Hopefully in the future, more cities will be added, so stay tuned for more news. In the meantime, happy hunting, and stay safe!
Leave a Comment