The official Metroid: Samus Returns webpage has just launched in Japan, and with it we get a whole heap of new information about how amiibo will function within the title. On top of the pair of new Metroid amiibo that are launching alongside the title, the Super Smash Bros. Samus and Zero Suit Samus are both compatible as well. You can find a full breakdown of what each amiibo does below.
Samus Aran (Metroid series) amiibo
- “Aeon reserve tank” will be available. When the in-game Aeon tank becomes empty, you can tap this amiibo to receive a tank of new energy.
- After clearing the game, you will be able to view Metroid II art, which can be viewed by the art gallery.
Metroid (Metroid series) amiibo
- Enables the Metroid marker that tells you the location of the nearest Metroid on the map.
- Unlocks the Fusion difficulty mode after you clear the game. This will allow Samus to use the Fusion Suit in-game.
Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series) amiibo
- Missile reserve tank will be available. During gameplay, when the number of missiles becomes 0, “missile reserve tank” can be used.
- After clearing the game, you can view “concept art” from the gallery menu.
Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros. Series) amiibo
- “Energy reserve tank” will be available. When the energy reaches 0 during gameplay, an energy reserve tank will be used.
- After clearing the game, you will be able to use the sound test mode from the main menu.